Rancor Grows Over Planned Oil Pipeline From Canada

- September 28th, 2011

New York Times reported that the public debate over a $7 billion oil pipeline from Canada through the United States has taken on an unexpected turn this week.

New York Times reported that the public debate over a $7 billion oil pipeline from Canada through the United States has taken on an unexpected turn this week.

The market news is quoted as saying:

The State Department concluded last month that the project, Keystone XL, would cause minimal environmental impact if it is operated according to regulations, and the proposed operator, TransCanada, has said the nearly 2,000-mile line would create 20,000 jobs in the United States. Opposition groups around the country, though, said the federal study did not consider the effects of a major spill, while supporters said the nation’s economy had continued to worsen through summer and fall, making Keystone XL all the more crucial.

“We need the jobs, it’s that simple,” said Bret Marshall, 53, a laborer’s union worker who said he hoped to get work on the line and drove more than 700 miles across Montana to be here for Tuesday night’s hearing.

Click here to access the entire news

Leave a Reply