- The Casino deposit hosts a significant resource of almost 21 million ounces of gold and 11 billion pounds of copper (M+I+I) according to a July 2020 update.
- The Casino project is economic at current spot prices. is located in an emerging gold district in which several majors (Newmont Goldcorp, Agnico Eagle, Kinross) have all made investments.
- The federal government announced a funding package to fund two access roads into the district.
- Results of the Preliminary Economic Assessment (PEA) on the Casino copper-gold-molybdenum deposit in the Yukon supersedes all previous studies and incorporates the updated mineral resource with an effective date of July 3, 2020.
- New column testing on various lithology samples representing the feed to the heap leach indicated that the gold recovery in the heap leach could be increased from 66 percent to 70 percent.
- In 2021, Western Copper and Gold launched a feasibility study at Casino, planning for metallurgical, geotechnical, and resource-confirmation drilling.
- The company updated its shareholders on changes to the Yukon permitting process, and outlined its environmental consultancy with Hemmera.
- Western Gold and Silver also revealed the construction of the Carmacks Bypass, a requisite for the Casino project. In March 2022, the company released its project drilling results, providing assay information from the 13 holes remaining from its 2021 program.
Western Copper and Gold Corporation (TSX:WRN,NYSE:WRN) is focused on developing the Casino project, Canada’s premier copper–gold project. The deposit is located in Canada’s Yukon Territory, which ranks among the top 10 most attractive mining investment jurisdictions in the world.
The company has acquired the Canadian Creek project, which is adjacent to both the Casino project and Newmont Goldcorp’s (TSX:NGT,NYSE:NEM) Coffee project. In late 2019, Western announced that they had hit a high-grade gold intercept that, if proven, could allow for a starter operation and be a game-changer for the project.
In July 2020 Western Copper and Gold updated the resource estimate at the Casino deposit based on its 2019 drilling results. The updated estimate includes 14.5 million ounces of gold in the measured and indicated category and 6.6 million ounces of gold in the inferred category in addition to 7.6 billion pounds of copper in the measured and indicated category and 3.3 billion pounds of copper in the inferred category.
In 2021, Western Copper and Gold launched a feasibility study at Casino, planning for metallurgical, geotechnical, and resource-confirmation drilling. After updating its shareholders on changes to the Yukon permitting process, the company outlined its environmental consultancy with Hemmera. Western Gold and Silver also revealed the construction of the Carmacks Bypass, a requisite for the Casino project. In March 2022, the company released its project drilling results, providing assay information from the 13 holes remaining from its 2021 program.
Western Copper and Gold is led by a highly-knowledgeable management team with a proven record of success. For example, Western Copper and Gold’s parent company, Western Silver Corporation, was acquired by Glamis Gold for $1.6 billion in May 2006. Glamis Gold was subsequently bought by Goldcorp, now Newmont Goldcorp, in November 2006. Management is supported by a highly-qualified team of engineers dedicated to bringing Casino into production.“Casino is a rare asset in that it is sizable, economic, well-advanced and located in a great jurisdiction. Casino is the key asset in the emerging Yukon gold district.” said Western Copper and Gold President and CEO Paul West-Sells.