- Western Copper and Gold is an exploration and development mining company with a significant advanced-stage copper-gold asset in the Yukon.
- The Casino deposit hosts a significant resource of almost 21 Moz of gold and 11 billion lbs of copper (M+I+I).
- A strategic investment from Rio Tinto grants Western access to additional operational funding and technical knowledge, indicating Rio’s confidence in the Casino project.
- The federal government announced a funding package to finance two access roads in the district.
- Column testing on various lithology samples representing the feed to the heap leach indicated that the gold recovery in the heap leach could be increased from 66 percent to 70 percent.
- Western Copper and Gold’s positive feasibility study on the Casino project, indicates a 27-year mine life and cash flow over the first four years of C$951 million per year at base case prices.
- The company updated its shareholders on changes to the Yukon permitting process and outlined its environmental consultancy with Hemmera.
- Western Copper and Gold also revealed the construction of the Carmacks Bypass, a requisite for the Casino project. In March 2022, the company released its project drilling results, providing assay information from the 13 holes remaining from its 2021 program.
- The company completed a C$21.3 million strategic equity investment by Mitsubishi Materials Corporation to further advance the company's copper-gold Casino Project in the Yukon.
Governments worldwide have ambitious goals to reach net-zero emissions, putting renewable energy in the spotlight. Every emerging clean technology has one material in common: copper. Thanks to its highly conductive properties, the base metal has been a standard component in existing electronics, and global electrification will increase demand drastically. As a result, copper consumption is forecasted to increase from 26 million metric tonnes in 2022 to 28 million metric tons by 2027.
Yukon is known for its rich mineral deposits, including copper, gold, iron, silver and lead. Yukon is ranked one of the world's most attractive mining investment jurisdictions and has attracted the attention of numerous major mining companies over the last few years. The Fraser Institute’s 2021 index ranked Yukon as the ninth most attractive jurisdiction out of 84 evaluated jurisdictions. Recent infrastructure funding from the regional and federal governments has spurred additional investment in the Yukon. Miners in Yukon are poised to capitalize on the territory's mineral richness.Western Copper and Gold Corporation (TSX:WRN, NYSE:WRN) focuses on developing the Casino project, Canada’s premier copper-gold project. The deposit is located in the Yukon Territory, which ranks among the world's top ten most attractive mining investment jurisdictions.