Plateau Energy Metals
Enabling the New Energy Paradigm
Plateau Energy Metals Inc. (TSXV:PLU,OTCQB:PLUUF) (“Plateau”), a Canadian-Peruvian clean energy metals development and exploration company, is a leader in the new energy paradigm with its Falchani lithium chemical project and its Macusani uranium project. The company, with mineral concessions in southeastern Peru, covering approximately 930 square kilometers, discovered and delineated the world’s sixth-largest hard rock lithium resource, putting Peru on the lithium development world map. The company controls all reported uranium resources published in Peru, all of which are situated near infrastructure. To date, the company has only explored a fraction of its land package.
While Plateau started exploring for uranium in 2006, in November 2017 the company uncovered the Falchani lithium chemical project, which has presented a large volcanic tuff hard rock deposit with high-grade values of lithium. Extensive metallurgical test work completed to-date demonstrates that the lithium-rich volcanic material at Falchani can be processed using conventional processing methods (tank leach) and can produce a low impurity battery quality lithium chemical. On February 4, 2020, the company released its preliminary economic assessment (PEA) led by DRA Global which demonstrates Falchani is capable of growing to become one of the largest single asset lithium chemical projects that exists today, together with a low operating cost, flexible lithium chemical processing route, high economic returns (US$1.55 billion NPV of 8 percent and 19.7 percent IRR after-tax) and potential for future by-products. With the newly uncovered lithium project, Plateau plans to take advantage of a rapidly growing lithium market.
Plateau’s plans for its Macusani uranium project are to continue working with the Peruvian government’s implementation of the new regulations for safe transport and export which are anticipated for the second half of 2020, according to government sources. The Macusani uranium project is located approximately 25 kilometers from the Falchani lithium project and is a PEA-stage, low-cost, high-return uranium project with over a US$600 million NPV (8 percent) and +40 percent IRR after-tax.
Plateau Energy’s Company Highlights
- 100-percent control of a 930-square-kilometer land package in stable jurisdiction of Peru’s Macusani plateau
- Excellent infrastructure (highway, water, power and labor)
- In a very supportive mining jurisdiction
- Active exploration of both lithium and uranium in the land package
- Falchani lithium chemical project
- Scalable, long mine life battery quality lithium chemical project in Peru. Production of approximately 63,000 tonnes per annum (“tpa”) average over 33 years of battery-grade lithium carbonate (“Li2CO3”) growing to 85,000 tpa Li2CO3 at a steady-state throughput of 6.0 million tpa
- After-tax NPV(8 percent) US$1.55 billion at US$12,000/t Li2CO3; after-tax IRR of 19.7 percent
- Low 2nd quartile operating costs. Benchmark Minerals Intelligence (“BMI”), the leading market data provider for the lithium-ion battery industry, rates Falchani Project in the low 2nd quartile of operating costs at US$3,958 per tonne Li2CO3
- Green mining initiatives. Development plan incorporates multiple responsible mining methods
- Macusani uranium project
- A large well-defined uranium resource in an emerging uranium district
- Robust PEA economics: High return with an IRR over 40 percent and rapid payback of ~1.8 years (after-tax)
- Low capex of ~$300 million or ~$5/lb U3O8 of production life of mine
- Ability to fast track development to feasibility with a scalable, flexible growth plan