- Gran Tierra is an international oil and gas company focused on exploration and production in Colombia and Ecuador.
- The company leverages waterflooding to improve oil recovery at each of its assets, which are world-class candidates for this enhanced recovery technique.
- Gran Tierra plans to drill several new wells throughout 2022 in addition to conducting exploration programs at its other assets.
- Acordionero, the company’s flagship project, has already produced over US$1.3 billion in oil and gas sales since 2016. Additionally, 14-16 new wells are scheduled to be drilled in this oil field this year.
- The company focuses on enhancing oil recovery at each producing asset to maximize the value of all its reservoirs.
- ESG ratings are essential for Gran Tierra, and the company has already planted 1.2 million trees in Colombia, alongside other environmental initiatives.
- A strong management team with directly relevant experience leads the company towards its goals.
“I believe we're in a multi-year bull market for oil,” said Eric Nuttall, partner and senior portfolio manager at Ninepoint Partners. He shared further, “What we saw throughout 2021, continuing into 2022, is the lack of significant production growth from all over the world.” In the interview, Nuttall also shared that the fear of peak demand is leading to a reality of peak supply, setting the table for an oil supply crisis.
According to the Short Term Energy Outlook released by the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), oil prices will average $107.37 per barrel in 2022.
Oil is produced around the globe, and Latin America is one of the largest producers of the resource. Colombia is the third largest oil producer in Latin America. The country began exporting oil in the 1980s and significantly boosted production over the past few decades, going from 550,000 barrels per day in 2007 to roughly 900,000 barrels per day. This improvement is primarily attributable to the country’s reforms of energy laws which encouraged a dramatic increase in international investments.
Gran Tierra Energy (TSX:GTE,NYSE:GTE,LSE:GTE) is an oil and gas exploration and development company with producing assets and exploration prospects in Colombia and Ecuador. The company operates the production from the vast majority of its assets, which gives it control over where and when to drill. Gran Tierra is focusing on enhancing recovery by utilizing the waterflooding process that results in higher oil recovery rates and modest future development costs. The company has plans to conduct additional exploration and development operations throughout 2022 and 2023.