Lucara Diamond Corp. (TSX:LUC) released a summary of the Company’s 2012 production and project progress. Included in the summary was updates on the Karowe mine and a Mothae Project update. In the fourth quarter of 2012 the x-ray recovery tailings audit of diamond recovery tailings was completed on the Mothae project. The Karowe mine also produced 303,060 carats of diamond, 12% above the forecast of 271,000 carats.
As quoted in the press release:
- The mine treated 1.4 million tonnes, 9% above forecast in 2012. Ramp-up to full production capacity, which commenced in April, was achieved by August
- The mine produced 303,060 carats of diamond, 12% above the forecast of 271,000 carats.
- There were 5 sales of Karowe goods in 2012 generating a total of $54 million in revenue.
- Diamond production included an exceptional 9.46 carat blue diamond which sold for $4.5m ($447,272 per carat). Other smaller blue diamonds have subsequently been recovered, including a 4.77 carat diamond which will be sold in 2013.
- The excellent safety record was continued through the year. At Karowe there were no Lost Time Injuries (“LTI’s”) or reportable environmental incidents. There have been over 2.8 million hours worked without any LTI’s since March 2011, including 1.6 million hours since the beginning of 2012.
|Get our expert guide to diamond investing FREE! Download this FREE Special Report, Investing in Stornoway Diamonds or Other Canadian Diamond Mines – Beyond the Diamond Price Calculator.|